[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] FOSS4G rotation

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 05:30:48 PDT 2013

Frank,
I agree that a compelling proposal should include meeting foss4g
financial expectations.

For the record, the last board meeting discussed changing guidelines for
foss4g budgets from expecting a $20K profit under conservative
estimates, to a $50K profit. (This would typically result in a $100K+
profit under expected conditions).

David Bitner, pointed out that a $100K profit spread across 1000
attendees equates to $100 extra per delegate, which is a good point, but
should be tempered against the variability of FOSS4G attendees, and the
high impact on profits this has. Looking back at an old foss4g budget, I
extrapolated some profit figures:

Attendees: Profit
1000: $58K
900: $35K
800: $11K
700: -$11K
600: -$35K
500: -$58K

While I made some gross generalisations in my extrapolation, the take
home message is that fixed costs of a large conference such as FOSS4G
are very high, and consequently, a small percentage increase or decrease
in attendance has high impact on profitability.
So if we want to ensure a worst case scenario of 500 delegates will
break even, then we should expect to make a $110K profit for an expected
attendance of 1000.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager