[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] FOSS4G rotation

Mark Lucas mlucas17 at mac.com
Mon Apr 15 12:38:25 PDT 2013

Somehow, from somewhere, we have to raise money to continue to promote what we believe in.  There is nothing wrong with that - in fact it is part of our responsibility as board members to grow the organization and hand it off in better shape to the next group of leaders. If we don't do that we will spend our board meetings agonizing on how we divide up fewer resources to do fewer good things.

We are all very sensitive to the economic implications to emerging parts of the world.  American and European conferences have demonstrated they are capable of sustaining sufficient attendance to meet the goals that we have suggested.  This money allows us to finance efforts in other parts of the world.

If anything, the FOSS4G-NA and CEE conferences have demonstrated that there is negligible cannibalization with regard to the international conference.  Just look at the attendance statistics for any of the conferences and you will find the vast majority of attendees are from within the region.

If anything, we need to encourage and expand the number and quality of the regional conferences.  As they demonstrate  success we would hope that they would also contribute to the overall effort.  The board invests in some of these conferences in the form of financial guarantees to get them off the ground.

In the past we have limited ourselves to just the international conference for revenue generation.  We don't have membership fees (even voluntary ones to just those that can afford it), we haven't tried to build revenue from chapters or regional conferences.  I wish we could do this effectively without worrying about money -  but that isn't how the world works.  If I were King for a day, I'd probably put a lot more emphasis into building up business cases, sponsors, and revenue streams that would help us expand our efforts.

My 2 cents..

Mark