[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] FOSS4G rotation

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 04:41:51 PDT 2013

On 16/04/13 16:29, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> Correct me, if I'm wrong, but from publicly easy available materials
> (osgeo.org) it is not fully clear, that the financial risk of the
> conference goes to OSGeo. OSGeo is investing money to FOSS4G, naturally
> it's expecting revenue and also profit, so the not-so-financially
> oriented events (as already noted, basically non-US/EU events) could
> take place without having to worry, whether we will be able to organize
> next event.
Jachym,
As far as I'm aware, OSGeo has financially backed all FOSS4G global
events since OSGeo came into existence, (except FOSS4G Beijing). OSGeo
also is also backing the last and current FOSS4G-NA event.

So as per our board priorities:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2013-02-26#Conferences_and_related_events

/Conferences are financially risky events. They need to be planned well
in advance, and you are never sure how many people will turn up, or
whether some global event will have a substantial impact on
registrations. Consequently, conferences such as FOSS4G require
financial guarantees up front in order to secure a venue. To support and
enable these conferences, OSGeo will endevour to retain sufficient
capital to offer such guarantees for any FOSS4G event requesting it. If
OSGeo's support is requested, then OSGeo would expect these events to
budget for a modest profit under conservative estimates, and for OSGeo
to retain profits from such events. To date, such profits, while
relatively modest, have been OSGeo's primary income source. /

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager

Think Globally, Fix Locally