[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2014 Bid Q&A Period - recording presentations

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 14:13:57 PDT 2013

I agree that recording is valuable for outreach (streaming is not
important). $50K or $67K seems be the cost of paying for recording
professionally. Ever since FOSS4G 2009, I've wondered about a cheaper
way to achieve similar goals, and there is another way.

1. Provide a web portal or similar for the general public to link to,
and/or upload conference videos.
2. Invite presenters to ask a friend to record them.
3. Invite presenters to edit their own presentations. (provide a HOWTO
showing how to do this).
4. Also invite the general audience if they could do the same.

The outcome would result is reduced quality presentations (which I don't
see as a major problem), and probably only 50% or so of presentations
would be recorded, but it would reduce the cost of this line item to
close to $0.