[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2014 Budget Sharing

Steven Feldman shfeldman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 09:38:32 PDT 2013

I don't want to comment on what "should" happen with regard to the current bids but I thought it might help to provide some transparency about what "will" happen with this year's FOSS4G conference

We published our budget in our proposal and in that we committed to a minimum $23-63k contribution to OSGeo based upon a cautious forecast of attendance levels. I have re-uploaded our proposal to https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2wShPAd7pU4R2tYNWlqWS1hUFk/edit?usp=sharing because the old site is no longer live.

We are paying our event organising partner, the Association for Geographic Information, a very low 5% fee. Given fees quoted elsewhere I think we may be under rewarding them.

We asked in our proposal for a share of the profit from the event to be allocated to the local FOSS4G chapter but did not stipulate an amount

"Subject to exchange rates, total sponsorship income, and additional clarity on some costs closer to the event, we hope to achieve a contribution to OSGeo of approximately $30,000. However should we find during the run up to conference that a larger surplus is likely, we will aim to share these additional financial benefits with OSGeo, the OSGeo UK Chapter, and/or by giving FOSS4G delegates additional value at the conference."

Today, thanks to fantastic sponsorship from all of these guys http://2013.foss4g.org/sponsors/ and very encouraging bookings we should be expecting a much larger surplus (I am not going to speculate in public as to the level). Our costs in general are likely to be a little lower than forecast.

We will be offering sponsor exhibition booths to OSGeo and to AGI

We thought we would need seed funding from OSGeo but in practice our first sponsors paid us before we had any outgoings so we have been completely self funded (although in theory OSGeo are on the hook if we made a loss - not going to happen). We have insured against all the usual risks (except delegates not booking) for ca. $3000

I hope that helps
______
Steven