[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2014 RFP Vote

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Wed Jul 17 00:57:58 PDT 2013

Paul,

just a small correction to your statement that none of the voters except
for Peter is in NA -
I assume that my vote was counted and I live in North America and I am US
citizen  and I have been to conferences in both Portland and Washington DC.
This of course does not change anything.

Helena

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca>wrote:

> All,
>
> You will, like me, be displeased to hear that voting results are
>
> 3 - Abstain
> 5 - DC
> 5 - Portland
>
> Some random notes:
>
> * Mark and Arnulf also voted (hi guys!) even though they aren't on the
> committee [1], so their votes aren't counted (and they cancelled each
> other out in any event).
>
> * The three abstentions are all due to members participating in the DC
> event or (me) declaring a perceived conflict of interest wrt DC.
>
> * With the exception of Peter, none of the voters is actually in North
> America! (Well, actually Gavin *is* in NA right now, but on a trip.
> And Peter is actually in the UK right now. And he's British. We live
> in an odd world.)
>
> * A few of the voters indicated that while the proposals were both
> very good they preferred the relative international ease of access of
> DC. (see above)
>
> * One voter, while voting for DC, suggested that Portland be given the
> next NA event.
>
> I'm going to let anarchy reign for one day, and then tell you all
> what's next after some discussion with the board, who are the final
> arbiters in these matters in any event.
>
> P.
>

> [1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee

Helena Mitasova
Associate Professor
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
North Carolina State University
1125 Jordan Hall
NCSU Box 8208
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208