[OSGeo-Conf] Using the FOSS4G brand

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Nov 20 10:06:15 PST 2013

Folks,

I concur with Venkatesh - we don't own FOSS4G and should not imagine we can
control it like a trademark.  If <random-evil-company> wants to hold a
conference about <random-proprietary-technology> and call it FOSS4G we
can't really stop that.  All we can do is provide some influence if they
would like to associate it with OSGeo.

Lets not overreach ourselves.

On the other hand, there may be things we can do to better support these
conferences, and improve coordination. I'm all for that.  Lets just be very
cautious about imagining there is control.

Best regards,
Frank

warmerdam at pobox.com