[OSGeo-Conf] foss4g-europe please join the discussion, if you want

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 12:43:32 PDT 2013

Hi all,

[sorry for cross posting, please let the discussion continue at
conference-cee mailing list]

some of you might consider it late, but I would like to ask you, if you
are interested in this topic - FOSS4G in Europe - to join
conference-cee at lists.osgeo.org [1] mailing list, for the discussions
related foss4g-europe topic.

Short summary:

In 2012 and 2013, there were two conferences organized in Prague and
Bucharest with a name FOSS4G-CEE (for Central and East Europe). On the
conferences it was required (asked) by attendees, why not to extend
FOSS4G-CEE to Europe(?).

Peter Baumann (Jacobs University, Bremen, rasdaman, editor of OGC WCS)
kindly offered, he would be able to organize such event for the year
2014 and I was very happy to have venue for the first year without need
to setup open decision process for now. (Site note: Also Maria Brovelli
offered Povo, Italy, but stepped back for Peter's proposal).

In Bremen, LOC was put together, with Susanne Ebrecht in lead (you might
know her for her Postgres activities and conferences).

We would like to see FOSS4G-Europe grow in a way, FOSS4G-CEE started.

This e-mail is about two questions, which are ahead for us (and on my
mind). First one would be domain name (easy one). Second one decision
process for next years (the hard part).

1) Domain name:

There are basically two options on the table: Registered domain
foss4g-e.org or, europe.foss4g.org

For the first option, the "year" schema would be e.g. year.foss4g-e.org
(e.g. 2014.foss4g-e.org)

For the second option europe.foss4g.org/year

The LOC agreed on second option (europe.foss4g.org/year), but since this
should be longer term topic, I would like to hear other's opinion (of
course ASAP).

2) Setup open decision process for next years

Some of you might feel (rightfully) excluded from this important
decision. This was not meant as contempt of the community and
stakeholders, but simply getting things up for the first year quickly,
so we would have another year for building the whole decision process
and board, so that everybody can contribute to the decision process.

Peter, Susanne and all members in the Bremen team are experienced
people, who already did several conferences with Open Source on it's
shield. I'm convinced it will be great event (board meetings already
started, university rooms are booked, preliminary program version
prepared, ...). There was call for joining the LOC from Susanne and I
believe, it is still open, anybody can jump in right now or any time later.

Please, let's talk about next years.

Please speak for both topics and please spread this e-mail between
relevant communities thank you

Jachym