[OSGeo-Conf] Open Source usage in European Public Sector

Pekka Sarkola pekka.sarkola at gispo.fi
Wed Sep 18 00:28:50 PDT 2013

Hi Folks,

I send this information already to Steven, but I’d like to share also with
others.

This is quite long email concerning OS usage in public sector (mainly in
EU). It includes valuable links to best practices in EU and also my personal
opinions.

We updated guideline for Finnish government about usage of Open Source
Software last year. It has been published as public guideline, but it's only
in Finnish. Online translators are making document just more un-readable ;-)

http://www.vm.fi/vm/fi/04_julkaisut_ja_asiakirjat/03_muut_asiakirjat/SADe_-_
Avoimen_lhdekoodin_toimintamalli_-_v2012-12-19.pdf (PDF)

During this update project, we also try to collect information about similar
guidelines in Europe. Here is short list of results:

EU: has a lot of information/guidelines of usage OSS. Maybe the most
important policy is "Downloading and

use Open Source Software does not need a public contract => no need for a
public procurement". So, public

entities can start use OSS without procurement process. BUT, when they
purchase services (like training,

support, maintenance, customization), they need to follow public procurement
processes.

  Links:

                             EU - OSS-procurement-guideline -final

http://www.epractice.eu/files/Guideline%20on%20public%20procurement%20of%20O
pen%20Source%20Software.pdf

                             EU – Public Open Source Software Procurement
Models The Next Generation

http://joinup.ec.europa.eu/elibrary/case/public-open-source-software-procure
ment-models-next-generation

Read also EUPL license papers in your own languages:

https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/software/page/eupl/licence-eupl

UK: Cabinet Office has release very good procurement kit to purchase Open
Source. I think main message is that you

have to choose OSS over Closed Source sw. So maybe this most mandatory
guideline in EU (if UK is part of EU ;-)

  Links:

                             UK – Open Source Procurement Kit

https://update.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/resource-library/open-source-procurement
-toolkit

                             UK – All About Open Source v2.0

https://update.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/sites/default/files/resources/All_About_
Open_Source_v2_0.pdf

Iceland: has also very strict guidelines to use OSS. Last year I got
information that they have 18 tasks to

advance usage of OSS.

  Links:

                             IS – Free and Open Source Software – Government
Policy of Iceland
http://eng.forsaetisraduneyti.is/media/English/Free_and_Open_Source_Software
_-_Government_Policy_of_Iceland.pdf

Netherlands: Procurement guideline made already 2007, very good basic
information and best practices.

  Links:

                             NL – Acquisition of open-source software
http://www.ictu.nl/archief/noiv.nl/the-acquisition-of-open-source-software/i
ndex.html

Estonia: Estonia has Government Program about "Information Society Policy".
One of the aims is "Supporting Estonia's

ICT Sector", this could be against EU's open market policy. Well, this easy
to manage: "Services have to deliver in

Estonian language" ;-)

  Links:

                             EE - Uuno Vallner: The Estonian software policy

http://www.eolevent.eu/sites/default/files/10%20-%20Uuno%20Vallner%20|%20The
%20Estonian%20software%20policy.pdf

France: Last year (Sep 2012), Prime Minister of France gave a guideline:
"Usage du logiciel libre dans l'administration". As far I understood this
basic guideline for French administration to use more OSS. I haven't follow
so much French OSS market, maybe somebody can tell more about.

However, I think Adullact is very interesting program to leverage use of OSS
in France. Over 10 years they haven been

use OSS in French admin. Again, if you don't know French, following
documents are difficult to understand:

  Links:

                             FR - Usage du logiciel libre dans
l'administration

http://circulaire.legifrance.gouv.fr/pdf/2012/09/cir_35837.pdf

                             FR - Statuts_ADULLACT_20100624.v2

http://www.adullact.org/association/statuts-et-reglement-interieur/206-statu
ts-et-reglement-interieur

If you have any comments, please free to mention on lists or in FOSS4G13.

Rgs,

Pekka

---   Pekka Sarkola  -  pekka.sarkola at gispo.fi  -  www.paikkatieto.com   ---