[OSGeo-Conf] Conference software

b.j.kobben at utwente.nl b.j.kobben at utwente.nl
Wed Sep 25 02:32:27 PDT 2013

Hi all,

For the FOSS4g2013 conference we used two separate systems: WordPress for
the main conference site and the presentation and workshops tracks, and
OJS (Open Journal System) [http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/] for the Academic Track
(AT).

I can't speak for the Wordpress site, that has been done mostly by Barry
Rowlingson and Jo Cook (cc-d). The OJS we used for the AT is installed on
the OSGEO servers, and also used by the OSGEO Journal. The AT chairs (F-J
Behr and myself) experienced OJS as well suited for that particular task,
for a next conference we'd probably want to tweak it a bit further, but in
general it served us well.

Dating back from the ICA-OSGEO MoU the idea was to consolidate the
Academic Track (starting at the ill-fated Beijing conference). I
volunteered for that at the time and carried that over to Nottingham. I'd
suggest that to keep this going, the Portland team sh/could continue using
the same systems, and I am volunteering to coordinate the effort with the
Portland LOC (I understand that Eli Adam would be their AT person).

Yours,
--
Barend Köbben
ITC - University of Twente