[OSGeo-Conf] [location-iwg] [OSGeo-Discuss] 2015 North American conference

Robert Cheetham cheetham at azavea.com
Tue Apr 8 13:36:24 PDT 2014

Hi David.  I can do my best to speak for Philadelphia as a location for
conferences:

*Upsides*
 * Accessible location:
  -> USAir/American hub, Delta, Southwest and United have significant
presence as well
  -> Good international air coverage, though not as good as Dulles, Newark
or JFK
  -> Major Amtrak station
  -> Good internal public transit
  -> Significant hotel capacity at a slightly lower price point than
Boston, New York or DC
 * A huge number of great, affordable restaurants and pubs
 * 3 large research universities within the downtown area (U-Penn. Drexel
and Temple)
 * Walkable downtown

*Downsides:*
 * Scarcity of medium-sized conference facilities.  The PA Convention
Center is extremely convenient, is in the heart of the city, and is good
for large events, but it's a big place and I don't know how easy it would
be plan an event for 700 - 1000 people.  There are also lots of smaller
spaces that are good for 40 - 100 people, but not a lot in-between. The
best bet may be universities, though that can be tough, depending on the
timing and class schedules.  Some other possibilities might be Sheraton
Society Hill or one of the other hotels.
 * Unions - a big downside for the convention center is the unions - they
are expensive and difficult to work with.  If you don't use the convention
center, it won't be a problem, but they have quite an unpleasant reputation
there.

Best,

Robert

------------------
Robert Cheetham

Azavea  |  340 N 12th St, Ste 402, Philadelphia, PA
cheetham at azavea.com  | T 215.701.7713  | F 215.925.2663
Web azavea.com <http://www.azavea.com/>  |  Blog azavea.com/blogs  |
Twitter @ <http://goog_858212415>rcheetham <http://twitter.com/rcheetham> and
@azavea <http://twitter.com/azavea>

*Azavea is a B Corporation <http://www.bcorporation.net/what-are-b-corps> -
we apply geospatial technology to create better communities *
*while advancing the state-of-the-art through research. Join us in creating
a better world.*