[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G Discount for Charter Members proposal

Steven Feldman shfeldman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 09:41:05 PDT 2014

I think that being a Charter Member is a privilege and a recognition from your peers of your contribution to the community. I am not sure that financial benefits should be attached to Charter Membership.

SotM finances are based on the expectation that most people attending will be ‘mappers’ who pay the lower rate, I doubt they make much money from the business tickets.

Currently FOSS4G is the main source of revenue for OSGeo, we should model the impact of extra discounts very carefully before deciding, whether they be for Charter Members, people from low income countries, presenters, students or any other category. Once we create the expectation of these discounts it could prove difficult to reverse.

My 2 pence (which is approx 3.3 cents)
______
Steven