[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G Discount for Charter Members proposal

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Wed Aug 13 11:46:59 PDT 2014

> SotM finances are based on the expectation that most people attending will
> be ‘mappers’ who pay the lower rate, I doubt they make much money from the
> business tickets.

Hi Steven,

I agree that SotM is a bit extreme in the price difference. It doesn't need
to be that much. But I can speak for SotM Tokyo, where I was involved, and
there were more business tickets sold than I expected and they made up a
large share of the total revenue through ticket sales.

My main point is, that for delegates, who get paid the conference by their
employer, a slightly higher price doesn't really matter (it's just a
fraction of the total cost anyway), because they just pass the costs to the
employer. For the employer it has a value, if one can see the company name
on the badge.
But someone from nearby for example or tries to keep the travel costs low
and takes a holiday to attend FOSS4G, such a discounted community ticket
makes a difference, whether the person is a charter member or not.
I think we should strengthen the value of the community, not the "club" of
charter members. ;-)

Daniel

--
Georepublic UG & Georepublic Japan