[OSGeo-Conf] MOTION: let South-Korea advance to the second stage for FOSS4G 2015

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 04:17:21 PDT 2014

+1
I'd like to present a counter point to people who have raised concerns.

I acknowledge that an Asian conference will likely attract less
attendees, especially  from US/Europe.
However, I don't see that as a bad thing. US and Europe each have
successful FOSS4G regional events every year. People from those
countries won't miss out.

An Asian international FOSS4G event will provide the opportunity to
consolidate regional Asian FOSS4G events.
I also am reassured to see that South Korea has already held a local
FOSS4G event, and as such has proven passion and experience in holding a
FOSS4G event. And I see there being great value to be gained through
other areas within Asia collaborating.

On 25/03/14 02:21, Peter Batty wrote:
> +1
>

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 4:53 AM, Steven Feldman <shfeldman at gmail.com
> <mailto:shfeldman at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'm uneasy about having only one bidder and I have doubts about
>     the location attracting good numbers from outside the region but
>     if we want to spread the word outside of Europe and NA then these
>     are risks we have to accept.
>
>     +1 from me
>     ______
>     Steven
>

>     On 24 Mar 2014, at 07:47, Bart van den Eijnden <bartvde at osgis.nl
>     <mailto:bartvde at osgis.nl>> wrote:
>
>>     Hi all,
>>
>>     as announced last week, I'd like the conference committee to vote
>>     on the following motion (please vote within 2 business days):
>>
>>     "Let South-Korea advance to the second stage (aka the bid
>>     process) for the FOSS4G 2015 RFP."
>>
>>     Please vote. TIA.
>>
>>     Best regards,
>>     Bart