[OSGeo-Conf] Final proposal for hosting FOSS4G 2015 in Seoul, Korea
shshin at gaia3d.com
Wed May 7 05:41:26 PDT 2014
Thank you for your own detailed explanation about venue and circumstances that other committee members might not know.
1. Smart Geo Expo : More than 80 companies & institutions including Samsung Electronics, Google, Sokkia, Trimble, Topcon, ESRI Korea, Leica, exhibited their products there in Smart Geo Expo. And more than 10,000 people visited exhibition booth and attended several seminars & conferences. You can get more information on Smart Geo Expo here : http://smartgeoexpo.kr/eng/main
2. Regarding workshops : We have a plan to have a workshop on Monday and Tuesday as usually, those are 14th, 15th Sep 2015. TOZ is franchised professional meeting facility which is located at several hot places all around Seoul. We plan to have a workshop at another bigger TOZ in Gangnam district. We estimate that 4 concurrent rooms would be fine for workshop. Last year there was 5 concurrent workshops in Nottingham. Anyway if workshop would get much popularity than we expected, we also can book COEX room.
3. Ice-breaking party & Gala dinner : Your proposal is worth to listen to. We'll discuss the options you proposed.
4. LOC members: Yep. We surely include other country's OSGeo guys to LOC not only from Japan but also from other Asia countries. And for the academic track, we also need to contact past members.
5. Wireless Internet : We already put the cost there in the budget estimation for the stable & fast wireless internet access, since complimentary internet access could not guarantee that.
I also hope we could enjoy Soju with you & all other FOSS4G guys in Seoul next year.
Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478
2014. 5. 5., 오후 3:56, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> 작성:
> Hello Sanghee and team,
> Thank you for submitting this proposal. I have a few questions, and I
> also have comments (mostly for the OSGeo Conference Committee to read),
> as I only a few months ago attended your FOSS4G-KR event in Seoul.
> - I agree that holding the global FOSS4G in Seoul would explode FOSS4G
> in the whole Asia region. That is exactly what happened for S.Africa
> and Sydney after their events. I think the proposed 'FOSS4G Asia
> Special Session' is very important for this reason.
> - the COEX venue is indeed world-class, and having attended the "Smart
> Geo Expo" with you a few months ago, I know how big of an event the
> Smart Geo Expo is (maybe you can outline some stats of how large that
> event was in 2014, for the OSGeo Conference Committee to understand.
> e.g. how many exhibitors). I think having FOSS4G around the same time
> as Smart Geo is very smart.
> - I am glad to read that you are already planning on hiring a
> Professional Conference Organizer.
> - having given a workshop at the proposed TOZ venue, I can verify that
> it is indeed a top-notch training facility. However I wonder how many
> concurrent workshops that TOZ can handle, as in the past we have had
> something like 9 concurrent workshop rooms running (I just did not see
> all of the venue, maybe it has additional floors or training rooms?).
> But indeed the facility for workshops is world-class.
> - Also, I don't see the workshops in your proposed timeline, are they
> likely planned for the Monday and Tuesday before? (14th & 15th)
> - Great to see your focus on the social events, as they are very
> important for any FOSS4G event. I wonder if an unofficial 'ice-breaker'
> could be planned for the Tuesday night (the night before the talks
> begins, as most will be arriving that night). It could just be a pub to
> meet at.
> - I am happy to see that a Korean BBQ is planned, as this is a wonderful
> part of your culture.
> - One warning I received from past FOSS4G attendees, is that FOSS4G
> attendees generally do not want to be forced to 'buy a ticket' to attend
> each social event each night. Generally the Gala event is acceptable,
> but beyond that FOSS4G attendees want freedom to just have a
> beer/network, without having to buy a ticket in advance.
> - I am glad to see the code sprint planned for the Saturday after, at TOZ.
> - Having stayed at the Hotel Ibis, I can verify what a great location it
> is, a short walk to the COEX venue; in fact I foresee this hotel as
> being 'the' hotel for the tribe
> - In general I can verify that the local subway system is efficient and
> - Great to see several OSGeo Charter members as part of your proposal
> LOC. I'd also like to see some members of the Japan chapter on your
> LOC, such as Venka and Mori-san; their experience and network is very
> important for your event.
> - In terms of technical infrastructure for the COEX event, I know it
> sounds silly to ask, but as FOSS4G attendees are so wifi/bandwidth
> demanding, can you outline some infrastructure details for COEX? I
> know, your area is one of the most connected and stable areas in the
> world, but, we must always plan for this, for any FOSS4G event. Would
> we leverage the existing COEX network, or setup a custom instance for
> our attendees?
> Again thanks for a wonderful proposal. If all goes well, I hope to be
> having a soju with you again there soon.
> OSGeo President
> On 2014-04-28, 2:45 PM, Sanghee Shin wrote:
>> Dear FOSS4G Selection Committee,
>> On behalf of LOC, it's my great honor and pleasure to submit this final proposal for hosting FOSS4G 2015 in Seoul, Korea.
>> Please note that some major changes has been made including venue, dates and co-organizer from our first LOI.
>> I attached final proposals and budget estimation here. However I'd like to give you an executive summary as follows:
>> 1. Venue : Seoul COEX
>> 2. Preferred Dates : 14th Sep to 19th Sep, 2015.
>> 3. Regular registration fee : KRW 500,000(USD 455) including VAT
>> 4. Will organize 'FOSS4G Asia Special Session'
>> 5. Want to introduce 'Half for low-income countries scheme'. For details, see page 24 in the proposal. Need talks with OSGeo board.
>> We are ready to answer to your questions about our proposal. Let's start the talks.
>> Thanks and regards,
>> Shin, Sanghee
>> Gaia3D, Inc. - Helping Earth Sustainable
>> Tel : +82-(0)2-3397-3475
>> Fax : +82-(0)2-3397-3478
> Conference_dev mailing list
> Conference_dev at lists.osgeo.org
More information about the Conference_dev