[OSGeo-Conf] Please review first press release of FOSS4G 2015

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu May 22 15:05:06 PDT 2014

Hi Sanghee,

1. Media distribution: OSGeo doesn't have its own media partners setup,
but your LOC could contact directly the past FOSS4G media partners (look
at the bottom of http://2013.foss4g.org/), for example I know that
DirectionsMagazine has a page on its site for manually submitting a news
item for publication (http://www.directionsmag.com/pressreleases/add/).
yes the hard work begins for the LOC!

Note that in the past, some LOCs wait until they have a website
template/shell up (imagine http://2015.foss4g.org/).  But it sounds like
you want to move forward for now without, which is fine.  But when you
are ready to put up a site, bug me and we'll get that url setup.

2. OSGeo announcement: well actually as of yesterday the OSGeo Board
voted to support your proposal, it was accepted! I just assumed that the
press release draft wiki page would be the same text sent to the Discuss
list.  When you are ready to do this, just send your wiki page text here
and Anne will make an OSGeo announcement out of it: send to
news_item(at)osgeo.org

3. Mailing list: I agree, we should move this discussion right away to
the new public list! (subscribe at
http://lists.osgeo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/foss4g2015)

4. 24/7/365: you're right ha! plus me lurking on your discussions using
Google Translate from Canada...you're covered 24/7 ha!

-jeff