[OSGeo-Conf] [OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G Organizing

Dave Patton dave at patton.org
Mon Sep 15 21:43:08 PDT 2014

On 2014/09/15 13:32, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> There are a number of places to start in finding such a corporate
> partner for event planning.

> Since getting involved in a commercial relationship like this is a
> big, existential decision for the organization, I think it falls to
> the board to decide
>
> (a) if moving to a single professional event organizer for all major
> foss4g events (international, na, eu) is warranted (b) if so,
> assigning a small team to speak with the alternatives, and bring a
> concrete decision in the form of a recommended company and contract
> terms to the board
>
> It is important to get a decision on (a) as quickly as possible

I'd suggest a couple of slight modifications:
- slightly different wording for the first item
- add a new second item

1)
The OSGeo Board decides whether moving to a single professional
event organizer for all major foss4g events is warranted and
practical at this time (international, na, eu).

2)
If the answer to (1) is Yes, then what are the broad terms of
reference that the board is willing to consider for potential
candidates? For example, do potential candidates have to have
established offices in various parts of the world? Do they
have to have a track record organizing open source events?
Do they have to have multilingual staff? Is the board OK with
the notion of a "conference organizer" who does all the 'back
office' tasks, including pre-conference registration, but who
does not provide any "boots on the ground" staff at the actual
conference (i.e. that staffing would be handled by the LOC,
perhaps with a mix of local paid and volunteer staff)?
What about minimum/maximum length of contract? Etc.

3)
If the answer to (1) is Yes, then assign a small team to speak
with potential candidates, and bring a concrete decision in the
form of a recommended company and contract terms to the board.

P.S.
Item (3) could be broken down into two steps, and if done
properly may not introduce too much extra delay:
- the small team brings a shortlist to the board, and the
   board ratifies/amends the shortlist and raises any
   questions or concerns
- the small team re-engages with the shortlisted candidates
   to arrive at a final recommendation for the board

--
Dave Patton
Victoria, B.C.

Degree Confluence Project: