[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G Organizing

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 04:19:37 PDT 2014

Paul and others,
I think there is likely value in finding a "single PCO for major FOSS4G"
events, but I think we at OSGeo need to consolidate our thinking over
what that means, and what we want, and I can't see us making a well
reasoned decision in time for 2016 venue decision (which is when?).

I suggest aiming to make a decision within the 6 to 12 month timeframe,
which should give time to firstly investigate the relationship between
OSGeo and LocationTech.

On 16/09/2014 6:32 am, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> I have two contradictory positions wrt LocationTech and event
> organizing, and I'll start with this one, since it's easier: as long
> as the organizations are separate, I think that OSGeo should maintain
> its own brand and use a professional organizer that is 100% dedicated
> to OSGeo without any conflicts of interest, perceived or otherwise.
>
> There are a number of places to start in finding such a corporate
> partner for event planning. An obvious thing to do would be to look at
> other successful international technology events in our space and who
> organizes them.
>
>  http://www.ieee.org/conferences_events/conferences/organizers/conference_organizer_contacts.html
>  https://us.pycon.org/2014/about/staff/
>  http://events.linuxfoundation.org/#event-services
>
> If nothing else, folks at those organizations could refer us to other
> companies we may not have heard to so we could run a real competition
> for our business.
>
> Since getting involved in a commercial relationship like this is a
> big, existential decision for the organization, I think it falls to
> the board to decide
>
> (a) if moving to a single professional event organizer for all major
> foss4g events (international, na, eu) is warranted
> (b) if so, assigning a small team to speak with the alternatives, and
> bring a concrete decision in the form of a recommended company and
> contract terms to the board
>
> It is important to get a decision on (a) as quickly as possible, as
> the venue decision for 2016 will have to be made and which organizing
> principle it falls under is important to establish sooner than later.
>
> P.
>
> --
> Paul Ramsey
> http://cleverelephant.ca