[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] next year's representative at FOSS4G Conference

Till Adams till.adams at fossgis.de
Wed Apr 15 00:53:17 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Bart brought in that discussion, because I talked to him about that
theme before. To clear that up in my words, some thoughts on this.

As I am the shareholder of my own company I would attend to FOSS4G in
Seoul more or less anyway. But "normally" I would come as a delegate of
terrestris.

In general OSGEO wants and more or less expects that the chair or
another representative of the following conference is present on the
preceding event. That's fair and also in my eyes more or less a "must".

But it is not sure, that my (above lined out) situation fits to all
following chairs of a FOSS4G conference in future. So I think, there
should be a binding agreement in general.

If a company pays for all the costs for travelling, accomodation and
also conference fees, the company expects (regardless whether the
representative is shareholder or employee) that the person benefits from
the conference in the sense of the company. This leads to the situation,
that the next chair is present, but as a delegate and also by order of
OSGEO.
In my eyes, something does not really fit here.

I think, if OSGEO really wants the chair/ a representative to invite to
the following conference, the representative should be there by order of
OSGEO. This is at least part of marketing and therefore in my eyes at
least part of the marketing budget of the next conference -- if so that
OSGEO does not care for this.

The representative in case on his/her side should be expected to act
professionally enough, not to mix up FOSS4G and company interests in
that case. That's the same what e.g. Jeff as president or other board
members do as well all the time (not to mix up!) ;-)

The other way would be to write clearly down in the proposal-requests,
that OSGEO expects the chair to be present on the preceding conference
by on his/her own account.

That's just what It think - regardless of what will be decided for now
or for the conference from 2017 or whenever. For me personnally not that
problem, I will come to Seoul anyway :-). But worth to start a
discussion here.

So far,

Till

Am 14.04.2015 23:19, schrieb Sanghee Shin:
> If I am asked to give a free pass to someone from FOSS4G 2016 team or
> OSGeo Board member, I have to say “No.” But, we’ll give one free booth
> to OSGeo.
>
> Seoul team has strict “No Free Pass” policy internally and so all LOC
> members even including me have to register to show up at FOSS4G Seoul.
> This is because Seoul team is preparing FOSS4G Seoul with extreme
> uncertainty unlike previous FOSS4G in Europe or NA. Still we’re not sure
> how many people will attend and how much sponsorship we can get finally.
> Seoul team has the risk of having deficit after the party. If any, the
> deficit will be purely upon Seoul team not on OSGeo. That’s why we’re
> very reluctant to give any free pass to somebody.
>
> Anyway Seoul team attended FOSS4G Portland and FOSS4G NA this year with
> our own budget without any free pass.
>
> With regards,
>
> Sanghee
> ---
> Sanghee Shin, Chair of FOSS4G 2015 Seoul
> "Toward Diversity! FOSS4G Bigbang from Seoul!"
> http://2015.foss4g.org
> Twitter: @foss4g
> Facebook: FOSS4G2015
> email: foss4gchair at osgeo.org <mailto:foss4gchair at osgeo.org>
>

>> 2015. 4. 14., 오후 7:13, Steven Feldman <shfeldman at gmail.com
>> <mailto:shfeldman at gmail.com>> 작성:
>>
>> I don’t think that the following year’s budget should include several
>> thousand dollars for travel across continents and accommodation - I am
>> not sure what the benefit would be. I think we would expect an LOC who
>> has won the right to stage a FOSS4G would have several team members
>> who had attended one or more previous events (maybe that should be a
>> question that we should ask at the LoI stage).
>>
>> That said, I think it is reasonable for the current years FOSS4G to
>> offer a free attendance to someone from the next year’s LOC. The cost
>> would be small, but the delegate attending should pick up their own
>> travel and accommodation expenses.
>> ______
>> Steven
>>

>>> On 13 Apr 2015, at 13:47, Bart van den Eijnden <bartvde at osgis.nl
>>> <mailto:bartvde at osgis.nl>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello conference committee,
>>>
>>> should the below be clarified in the RFP or is this already the case?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Bart

NEWS:

-> Untergrunddaten in 3D - in Ihrem Browser? Kein Problem!
-> Wo steht OpenLayers 3? Lassen Sie sich von uns beraten

terrestris GmbH & Co. KG
Puetzchens Chaussee 56
53227 Bonn
Germany