[OSGeo-Conf] Fwd: FOSS4G North America selection process

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Apr 29 11:53:07 PDT 2015

I personally don't understand the request to 'mesh', as FOSS4G has
already come to NorthAmerica and other locations that have an existing
local FOSS4G event.  Nothing changes when FOSS4G-global comes to a
location (nothing changes in the global process, that is).  Maybe I am
misunderstanding what 'mesh' is.  If 'mesh' means that the local FOSS4G
event would decide whether to have their own local event that year, then
yes that is an important point for the regional committees to decide
(for example, the FOSS4G-Asia committee decided to not hold their local
event in 2015, because of FOSS4G-Seoul).

Yet another example is the local German event FOSSGIS, which will in
fact still occur in 2016, even with FOSS4G-Bonn occurring.  So, it is
really up to the regional committees to decide to hold their local event.

By the way, I am very pleased to see that FOSS4G-NorthAmerica is
creating their own process to decide their local event, this is
excellent.  I hope that all local/regional events develop their own
decision process.

-jeff