[OSGeo-Conf] Comments on Philadelphia FOSS4G 2017 letter
jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Aug 13 11:54:40 PDT 2015
Thank you for your Letter of Interest for Philadelphia, PA. Here are
some comments from me, to consider if you proceed to the next stage:
- your proposed organizing committee is exceptionally strong in the
private sector; however it would also be good have committee members
involved at the public sector/government level, as well as in academia.
You could consider this for your full proposal.
- I think it is very smart to explain local business activities and how
they contribute to OSGeo projects and the community, such as your
description of what Azavea does. This really makes your big stronger,
so you could consider adding more descriptions for other active
companies, in your full proposal.
- I really like your strong focus on community, and you could definitely
highlight this in your full proposal by more elaborate descriptions (of
GeoPhilly, the recent OSGeo Code Sprint, MaptimePHL).
- I didn't see a mention of workshops in this letter, but be sure to
explain your plan for workshops thoroughly in your full proposal (as you
know, workshops are such a huge part of a FOSS4G).
- The most powerful part of your letter is that final sentence, what it
means to the local community to bring FOSS4G there. That vision that I
sense in that statement could be expanded for the full proposal.
- regarding affordability, that is becoming more of an issue with the
FOSS4G events. Having this in mind, you could elaborate more on your
plan to keep costs down, in your full proposal.
I hope these brief comments help you with your bid.
More information about the Conference_dev