[OSGeo-Conf] Underwriting FOSS4G events

Steven Feldman shfeldman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 02:34:03 PDT 2015

I agree that it is time for OSGeo to formalise our commitment to ‘underwrite’ a FOSS4G (Global or Regional). The reasonably loose understanding that has worked in the past is probably past it’s time.

Thoughts on the process:

We need a clear statement from any FOSS4G seeking OSGeo’s financial backing
Initial advance(s) required and timing
Potential loss through cancellation at different stages
Potential loss if conference goes ahead but attendance is less than target
OSGeo will confirm the maximum level that it will underwrite
OSGeo will need to set aside a reserve to cover the maximum underwritten losses of all FOSS4G events that it is supporting. This will probably limit our ability to underwrite multiple events and may require the Conference Committee to select between competing regional events if there are several applications
It would probably be prudent for the Conference Committee to require a member to join the LOC with financial oversight of expenditure, forecasts and risks.
The Conference Committee will need to continuously review financial risk and may require changes to the financial and operational plans of an event.
The LOC will need to accept that OSGeo will not accept unlimited financial liability for their event, any losses exceeding the maximum level underwritten will need to be borne by the LOC or insured locally.
The LOC agrees to remit xx% of any surplus to OSGeo to support future events and other OSGeo activities (I would suggest at least 85% but no doubt this could be a subject for discussion across the community but it should be standard for all events)
OSGeo will need to draft a legal agreement with the LOC that sets out these terms

Sorry if this sounds very formal but if OSGeo are making financial commitments running into the $50-100k region which could be the case for a global FOSS4G then there needs to be some proper process and limits in place.

For info - FOSS4G 2013 in Nottingham received no advance from OSGeo (we were fortunate with the timing of our first payments and receipts of sponsorship). OSGeo signed the contract with the conference venue but we had no agreement with OSGeo to underwrite losses outside of the venue contract. We returned just over 85% of the surplus to OSGeo
______
Steven