[OSGeo-Conf] Request

till.adams at fossgis.de till.adams at fossgis.de
Tue Aug 18 23:37:46 PDT 2015

Hi Cameron,

thanks for jumping into the theme ;-)

What you expect could be done easily on the one hand, although final
costs are not totally fixed yet - I think we roughly might hit them by
80-90% for our early stage now. I just would have to sum up the big cost
factors such as conference center, caterer, PCO, ship for gala dinner,
that are the big four I guess. Take this amount plus let's say 20% would
give a quiet good overview about the full expected costs. But from then
on, there are at least two scenarios:

1. What are our losses at what date before the conference if we do a
full cancellation - which means no income (if we'd have to pay back e.g.
the full sponsoring packages as well...)?
2. What are our losses, if just less attendees appear than our break
even (around 600) tells us we need, but we are going run the conference
anyway? That one is much more complicated, as we only might see, how
many people really appear very short before the conference. Taking both
together, we might come to a scenario, where running the conference,
although we know, we will loose money, is better than cancellation (just
from the financial point of view) - but who in the end decides that?
Anyway.

I've done a rough estimation about our pre-payments for Jeff month ago.
I think best way is, when I talk to the "main cost factors" and ask them
what their rates are, if we sign a contract and then cancel e.g. 6
month, 3 month and 1 month before (I am sure, that at least WCCB already
passed this to me in the conditions). From that I can do a conservative
estimation at what time(s) we will face maximum exposure with an
uncertainity factor of some percents.
Is it that, what you expect?

I am sure, this is just an "if" discussion and will never get true ;-)

Regards, Till

Am 2015-08-19 02:28, schrieb Cameron Shorter:
> Hi Till,
> To answer your question, could you please provide details about
> maximum financial exposure your conference will face (and at what
> time(s) you will face maximum exposure). Ie, if a world pandemic
> breaks out, or if there is a global financial crisis, or similar, and
> you don't have expected (or any) attendees, what will be the amount
> lost if you need to pull the conference?
>
> The collective exposure of all FOSS4G conferences being guaranteed by
> OSGeo should be less than OSGeo's budget set aside for such exposure,
> at any point in time.
>
> On 18/08/2015 5:29 pm, till.adams at fossgis.de wrote:
>> Arnulf, @Conference-committee,
>>
>> thanks to put my thoughts in better words ;-).
>>
>> So, I agree to change my question into a proper request to the OSGeo
>> Conference Committee (by copying Arnulfs words):
>>

>>> Dear Conference Committee,
>>> the Bonn LOC in charge of organizing FOSS4G 2016 requests OSGeo to
>>> act
>>> as financial safeguard for FOSS4G 2016. OSGeo agrees to cover
>>> potential
>>> losses that could arise from a failure of FOSS4G 2016 (be it
>>> natural
>>> disaster, economic crisis, lower attendance than expected, etc.).
>>> In
>>> turn OSGeo will receive the surplus generated through the
>>> conference.
>>>

>>> Note:
>>> In my understanding this request should be discussed on the
>>> conference
>>> list. Once a consensus has been reached by the conference committee