[OSGeo-Conf] Underwriting FOSS4G events

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 13:19:51 PDT 2015

Hi Till, Stephen, Girt,
Your suggestions all make sense and I like what is being suggested.
Who owns the risk can be different for each conference, whether that be
a LOC legal body, or the OSGeo Foundation, or a proportion of both.
The key is that the risk is defined, and that their is a strategy for
all scenarios.
Typically there will be a requirement to pay a deposit by DATE1, more to
be paid by DATE2, ...

I feel a plan should be put in place, which goes something like:
By DATE1, if the exposure is greater than $XXXX, then the conference
will be cancelled.
By DATE2, ...

With regards, to defining a process, I'd encourage you to draft some
suggestions into the wiki here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook#Finances
(Feel free to change existing content)

Once it is in a reasonable state, invite the conference committee to
review, and we can finalise it.

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager