[OSGeo-Conf] Code of conduct - definition of "sexualized images"

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 03:19:15 PST 2015

Hi Gina,
I understand that you are the point of contact for the O'Reilly
conference code of conduct. [1]

The Open Source Geospatial (OSGeo) Conference Committee is currently
discussing setting up a code of conduct for conferences [2]. I like the
O'Reilly wording, and have suggested OSGeo adopt something similar.

However, one thing I find lacking is a clear definition of "sexualized
images". Does O'Reilly have guidelines for assessing whether an image is
"sexualized"?

Would it be appropriate for a presenter to include an image from a main
stream media commercial? Likewise, could such images be displayed by
vendors at conferences? I'd expect so. However, large proportions of
main stream commercials make use of young, "sexy" models.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Feel free to forward this email to
appropriate people.

Regards,
Cameron Shorter

[1] http://www.oreilly.com/conferences/code-of-conduct.html