[OSGeo-Conf] Code of Conduct

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 11:42:33 PST 2015

On 15/01/2015 4:59 am, Kristin Bott wrote:
> - I'm curious to hear answers to Darrell's question above -- "What is
> the argument for why having a CoC is worse for the conference than not
> having one?"

I'm in favour of a CoC, but found the referenced CoC [1] a bit
confronting, couched in negative language, and poorly defined around
what is considered "poor conduct".  In particular, the referenced text
could be interpreted as "If I include a slide of a *sexualised image*,
which I might have copied from numerous advertising commercials or music
videos from popular culture, then I might be asked to leave the conference."

The O'Reilly CoC [2] says almost the same thing, but uses positive
language and assumption of innocence in its wording. I expect that most,
if not people currently objecting would be ok with this O'Reilly CoC.

I also think it adds little value, and will likely offend a number of
attendees, to enforce everyone to tick a "I will abide by the CoC" box.
Do obviously reference the CoC, including using a 1 sentence version of
it which gets read.  If people are going to break the CoC, they will do
so whether they tick a box or not.

I do have an outstanding question about definition of "sexualised
image", which I expect will be challenging to resolve. Does someone have
links back to the geek girls community to see if they can help with ideas?

[1] https://2015.foss4g-na.org/code-conduct
[2] http://www.oreilly.com/conferences/code-of-conduct.html

--
Cameron Shorter,