[OSGeo-Conf] Announcements about FOSS4G bid schedule and bid schedule preparation?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 03:44:37 PDT 2015

Hi Eli,
Thank you for compiling all this.
Comments inline.

On 24/06/2015 3:13 pm, Eli Adam wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've prepared a rough draft for a process outline and new schedule
> [6].  Please review and revise. Otherwise, express some positive
> support.
Text looks fine, with the following suggestion:
In the past, we have had 2 votes for a city which have ended in a tie.

I suggest for the final vote, that one person be allocated 1.5 votes, in
order to act as a tie breaker.
Ideally, this person should be the Conference Chair, however, we don't
seem to have a chair for the conference committee at the moment.

As such I'd like to nominate Eli, as conference chair, at least for the
duration of this FOSS4G bidding process, as he has been doing the work
to get things going and I'm sure will do a good job as chair.

> I have a few thoughts about the schedule: Do we really want to be
> asking questions and making the decision during FOSS4G 2015?  Should
> we ensure that the decision is *after* FOSS4G 2015 (future FOSS4G
> focus at 2015 should be 2016 not 2017)?
>
> I've also started a cursory 2017 RFP process in SVN [7].  Please
> update as needed.
>
> I've prepared a draft for a press release [8], please revise.
I've reviewed, it looks good.

> Should we make an OSGeo email alias, rfp at osgeo.org for any private
> communications (likely sponsors)?
I suggest not.
I've found that people will either be comfortable emailing a public
list, or if they prefer to discuss things privately, they want to know
who will be reading their private email. As such, it is typically better
to provide a person's name (such as a conference chair) that can be
emailed privately instead.