[OSGeo-Conf] Conference Committee members

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Tue Jun 30 00:40:33 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses.  It is nice to see the committee is
alive every so often.  What I would *really* like is input on the
FOSS4G bid schedule and details. [1]

The intent of my email was to suggest a review of the record and see
that everyone who has been added to the committee is on the list [2]
that will be used for voting.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 11:44 PM, Jeroen Ticheler
<jeroen.ticheler at geocat.net> wrote:
> Same here, but I object to having this type of review so often. Last time a cleanup was done was, as far as I remember, less than a year ago (maybe half a year).

I also object to this type of review.  (I'm not intending to do
anything with the member list at the conclusion of one week's time.)
We are a chair-less committee and most of the time I think that we all
generally agree on how the committee operates.  If needed to decide
how to run things we can make motions as needed.  If Cameron really
wants to clean up the list*, he can make a motion to remove people.
Cameron's call does follow in the tradition of Paul's previous call
[3] (that I thought was a mistake).  I do agree that there is some
overhead (annual FOSS4G RFP vote) of accumulating inactive members on
the committee.  If you don't want to be involved for a period of time,
letting the committee know that is an appreciated courtesy.  To me,
having thoughtful people contributing to the committee when they have
time on topics that interest them is great, or at least good enough.
I've also agreed to act as chair through the FOSS4G selection process.

Importantly, I want to emphasize that there are many people who
contribute to the conference committee and the conference committee
list but are not officially members.  To me, this doesn't matter and I
sincerely appreciate their contributions.  I hope that everyone feels
welcome and appreciated for their contributions.  If you want to be
nominated to officially be on the committee, let me know and I'll
nominate you.  To me productively contributing is more important than
official membership (official membership just means you get to vote
for the FOSS4G RFP selection, otherwise, contributors who are not
official members can be just as effective and helpful.).  Committee
membership could more closely reflect conference attendees too.  More
perspectives and backgrounds on the conference committee could be
helpful for running conferences around the world with diverse
participants.

Best regards, Eli

* I usually try to not speculate about other people's motives but will
take the risk here.  I'm not sure whether Cameron wants to clean up
the list or spur people into action.  If the goal was to spur people
into action, he succeeded in that regard to a decent extent.  I wish
that such actions were not required to get a response.  I also
acknowledge that too much accumulation of inactive committee members
who don't respond to votes does potentially contribute to the
committee becoming defunct and unable to function.

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2015-June/003044.html
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee#Current_Members
[3] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2012-April/001723.html

For the record, of the people listed as current members:

Eli Adam
Thierry Badard
Peter Batty
David Bitner
Jachym Cepicky
Vasile Craciunescu
David Fawcett
Steven Feldman
Gavin Fleming
Darrell Fuhriman
Dave McIlhagga
Helena Mitasova
Claude Philipona
Venkatesh Raghavan
Paul Ramsey
Cameron Shorter
Jeroen Ticheler

The following responded expressing an interest to remain active:

Eli Adam

Peter Batty
David Bitner

Vasile Craciunescu

Steven Feldman

Darrell Fuhriman
Dave McIlhagga
Helena Mitasova
Claude Philipona
Venkatesh Raghavan

Cameron Shorter
Jeroen Ticheler

Several people not listed as current members who have been making
contributions to the conference committee list also responded that
they wanted to continue.