[OSGeo-Conf] Announcements about FOSS4G bid schedule and bid schedule preparation?

till.adams at fossgis.de till.adams at fossgis.de
Tue Jun 30 06:41:58 PDT 2015

Hi,

regarding what Eli wrote in an earlier mail, me as not being a member
of the conference team, I give my 2 cents on that anyhow:

I really like the situation we have for 2016: We have more time than
other LOC-teams. We can finish some things before summer break and start
afterwards in a - in my eyes - really comfortable situation, knowing
that things started to move really early. So that stresses the idea of
kicking out the bid-process for 2017 ASAP.
I think, that earlier location decisions might put LOC's into that
comfortable situation, but very probably this leads even to better
events (you might point me to this words end of August 2016 again ;-)).

There is one thing to mention: It's a good and important thing having
direct contact between LOC 2015 and 2016, especially in sight of not
confusing potential sponsors or even worse, getting in competition
between the events.
Therefore I would suggest to write down a "need for conversation
between LOC's" in the bid process (for 2017 and following).

Second, I don't know anything about how your internal decisions work,
but I know that the make of that proposal really is hard and a lot of
work. So I would suggest to request only two teams for a full proposal
(if there are more...).
After the LofI you, the conference-team, know that both choosen teams
should be able to run that conference, otherwise a full proposal makes
no sense anyway.

Regarding that, I would agree with Steven to request for a more
detailed LofI, maybe asking for more "hard facts", especially for
financial plannings.

So far, Till