[OSGeo-Conf] Question Period: Workshops

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Sun Mar 1 15:38:16 PST 2015

This concept of additional sessions with bring-your-own-device was
introduced a few years ago (some call it 'labs' instead of workshops).
Workshops (with a provided workstation) are possibly one of the most
important parts of what makes a FOSS4G event.  Workshop instructors are
given a choice of using a live-DVD or virtual machine, or pre-installing
software on the workshop system.

In my opinion (and yes until 2013 I was involved in each and every
workshop committee at every FOSS4G event right back to 2004, the only
one consistent member of FOSS4G organizing, so I do have a say in this)
workshops are mandatory for FOSS4G local committees to include, whereas
'labs' are not required/extra. I would not even class it as a
'suggestion', I would class labs as 'optional'. [note that I believe the
Bonn team has proposed using additional 'lab' sessions]

For workshops, I also don't think we should get away from providing a
workstation.  But using a virtual machine or liveDVD has become a great
option for workshop presenters, and OSGeo-Live has fit in nicely.

Maybe this thread should instead be used in how to prevent workshop
committees from using incorrect OSGeo-Live versions, or improperly
formatted USBs (which I see happen at possibly 80% of workshops at
FOSS4G events, sorry yes it is that high).  This is really the need.

In fact there has been a recent suggestion for the OSGeo marketing
committee to handle providing these OSGeo-Live USB devices to all
conference events (use their known supplier, have the OSGeo-Live
developers install and configure, etc.).  Makes total sense.

I think that is the future.

-jeff