[OSGeo-Conf] Question Period: Workshops

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Mon Mar 2 12:50:01 PST 2015

I apologize for being late to the party. I wanted to comment and ask questions, but I was on holiday and trying not to be logged in, so apparently missed the deadline to get mine in.

> For workshops, I also don't think we should get away from providing a workstation.  But using a virtual machine or liveDVD has become a great option for workshop presenters, and OSGeo-Live has fit in nicely.

We ran nearly all of our workshops off of VMs created from the OSGeo-Live DVD (or maybe we just booted it in a VM, I forget). Even in cases where we did BYOD, we encouraged its use. I think this was a major reason nearly of the workshops went smoothly.

Otherwise the install headaches just become too great and often suck up too much time at the beginning of each workshop.

d.