[OSGeo-Conf] Call to discuss FOSS4G 2017 proposals prior to voting

Robert Cheetham cheetham at azavea.com
Sun Nov 8 18:08:30 PST 2015

Guido,

I can't speak for Ottawa, but because Philadelphia has a similar agreement
with the PCO, I can respond from my own perspective.

I think if we start to include in-kind contributions as cash contributions,
then the offer of OSGeo booth space and headline branding would also be
considered as a cash contribution to OSGeo.  But that seems silly to me.
It's important that OSGeo have this promotion and branding and considering
it as part of the financial support to OSGeo isn't helpful or constructive.

I think there are a number of situations in which in-kind space or sponsor
status will likely be in the best interest of a successful event (for
example for media sponsorships, food/drink donations, etc), but I think it
would be most helpful at this junction to focus on the actual cash budget
and not on the hypothetical in-kind value of sponsorship arrangements.

Regards,

Robert