[OSGeo-Conf] Invitation to hear your wisdom about FOSS4G 2015

Sanghee Shin shshin at gaia3d.com
Fri Sep 25 06:58:45 PDT 2015

Hi Cameron,

My answers and opinions are in line below.

> 2015. 9. 21., 오후 10:16, Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter at gmail.com> 작성:
>
> Hi Sanghee, great data that you have added to the spreadsheet. Thanks.
> I've created a chart from it, and filled in missing dates so the chart
> doesn't look distorted.
> Would I be right in assuming that there was no change in numbers for the
> new dates I've added?

Looks perfect!

> Very interesting to see how many late entries you had sign up. Do you
> have an idea on why that is the case? (Maybe a question to answer in
> your lessons learned)

1. Korean culture. Korean people usually register on site. Furthermore there was no price discrimination between on-line and on-site registration. Initially there was a plan to raise the on-site registration fee to USD660 or KRW660,000. However that plan was rejected in LOC, because that price would discourage the Korean people to register on-site.

2. SmartGeoExpo. FOSS4G Seoul was held in conjunction with SmartGeo Expo. And I saw several SmartGeo Expo attendants register on-site after reviewing the program.

3. Currency Exchange Rate. There was 28 international on-site registrants. If they register on-line, they should pay in USD, however if they register on-site, they could pay in KRW. Due to recently weakened Korean WON against USD, paying in KRW means that international registrants could enjoy around 15% of discount. I saw this kind of discussion how international attendants could enjoy discount by pay in KRW by accident.

> Also great to see so many people registering from Korea. This is in line
> with an international trend for FOSS4G where we find that a significant
> proportion of attendees are local or regional, and a good reason for
> continuing to move FOSS4G around the world.
>
> On the data, there seems to be a mismatch between total Korean attendees
> and sum(Korean attendees). 253 vs 257. Have you made a typo somewhere?

253 is right. Some of international attendants checked their citizenship as Korea by mistake.

> I'd also be interested to see the percentage of attendees from Asia vs
> Rest of the world, in order to answer the question: Would an Asian
> country attract attendees from neighbors? If you have the data, maybe
> add another "Asia" column.

352 might be from Asia. It’s 62.8% of whole attendants.

FYI,
Asia: 352
Europe: 101
N.A: 61