[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2018 Dar es Salaam Submission

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Thu Dec 1 17:57:48 PST 2016

Hi Mark, Msilikale, and Dar LOC,

I'm looking forward to the response on some of Steven's questions
below and have a few questions and comments of my own.

The workshops are very reasonably priced.  In some years, workshop
registration fees fund a good portion of the conference.

In 2014 we had a substantial portion of preconfigured computers.
Partly, the plans of the workshop presenter determine the possibility
of BYOD.  Do you think that many people will travel with laptops?

I like the long breaks and lunches to allow for additional interaction.

The World Bank funding commitment of $100,000 is extraordinary.  What
are the details or restrictions of when that will be fulfilled and
transferred to the LOC?  The LOC will have contracts to sign and bills
to pay before the conference event.  With such a large portion of the
budget coming from a single source, that raises the risk too.  What is
the LOC doing to reduce this risk?

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 5:17 AM, Steven Feldman <shfeldman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some thoughts and suggestions from me.
>
> I am a little concerned that your margins are quite low (although I like
> your 15% contingency). Some comments on your budget
>
> I suspect you may have a higher proportion of local delegates - whilst your
> $100 price is admirable, you make a substantial loss per delegate. Perhaps
> consider increasing local price slightly
> I would be surprised if you got more than 300 delegates from Europe and NA -
> this may mean that your overall attendance is lower than 500 (450 paid)

Looking at Cape Town (531), Sydney (436), and Korea (562) attendance
might be helpful, along with the geography of attendees.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BpkO5WOFQ_DZEWNMLj_hAhEre0m0io_j-JGf7geAW5Y/edit#gid=57.

> Are the workshop prices $75/100 for 1 or 2 days?
> You might want to consider slightly higher rates for your sponsorship tiers
> e.g.. Platinum $20k, Gold $10k etc - or even a little higher. You could
> offer a 25%-50% discount to local organisations.
>
> Most sponsors will want to generously support a FOSS4G in Africa and I would
> hope that they will dig deep to make the event successful.
> I think/hope that you will get quite a bit more sponsorship which will ease
> the budget
>
> The marketing expenses look high to me (even at European rates).
>
> You should look to drive them down and consider eliminating or greatly
> reducing paid advertising.

No or little need for paid advertising is true at least for North
America and Europe (attendees come because of email lists, twitter,
blog posts by OSGeo projects and prominent community members, and
other OSGeo communications).  For your local markets, you might know
better.

> I would also question whether it might be time to stop printing a massive
> program book that is hardly read and to do more online - perhaps just a
> simple programme schedule that enables delegates to plan their days.

My opinion is that I like something printed.  It could perhaps be
smaller but does need at least the schedule of each day to plan your
sessions.  Sometimes it is nice to reference the more detailed
information while making selections.

> Are you sure that the costs from the PCO/Venue include recording and
> streaming all tracks? This has become an important part of a FOSS4G and we
> want to reach the people who cannot travel to Dar.
>
> The PCO fee looks high but might not be if it includes the costs of
> recording/streaming
>
> The wifi cost seems high, can you explain how this was calculated? Are there
> any alternatives?
> The $150 cost of the closing party is quite high (particularly as pope will
> have to pay for a hotel as well) and is unlikely to be affordable for people
> on a low budget (i.e. those availing themselves of the concession for
> ‘locals’).
>
> Is there a lower cost alternative?
> Do the numbers work if you only get 50 people?
> Does the cost of travel limit attendance at the codesprints?
>

> I would encourage you to run through a ‘worst case’ budget which is based on
> lower attendance from outside of the region and overall. See what
> compromises you need to make on expenditure to balance your books. Hopefully
> it will be completely unnecessary but it is best to be prepared for the
> worst rather than having to react if bookings or sponsorship fall below
> target.
>
> What organisation will be contracting with the PCO and venue? Or does the
> PCO contract with the LOC and then book the venue etc?
>
> This sounds like a list of tough questions, so I want to add that I am
> confident that you and your team will be able to adapt to whatever comes up
> and that in my opinion (as a committee member not as chair) a FOSS4G in Dar
> in 2018 is enormously exciting for the whole OSGeo Community.
>
> #mtfbwy
> ______
> Steven

Looking forward to the response to Steven's questions as well as my own.

Best regards, Eli