[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2018 Dar es Salaam Submission - Questions

till.adams at fossgis.de till.adams at fossgis.de
Mon Dec 5 05:25:47 PST 2016

Dear Mark,

sorry for my late reply, I took my weekend, so I did not check any
emails here.

This is off-list, as the question period ended, so just my personal
view as a person, not a member of ConfComm ;-)

Regarding your targeted conference fee: Our view was, that +/- 50€ will
presumably not make the difference for many people deciding to come or
not. If you regard all costs such as flight, accommodation, beer, food,
a conference fee of +/-50€ does not make that big difference. We fixed
our prices rather late (to be honest, we did this few days before we
actually opened registration). Before that, we communicated a price
range, so we had some time to wait for sponsors to come in and with
that, lower our fees.
Just a hint when you talk about extremely reduced tickets: Always take
into account, that every ticket causes costs on your side, most of it is
food. So giving a reduced ticket is fine, but I would at least care,
that you can cover your costs with that (and BTW, be prepared, that
many, many people will ask for a free ticket ;-)).

Asking the ConfCom is always a good way: You won't find another group
of people, that mostly already organized a FOSS4G ;-). For Bonn with
Steven (Feldman) we had our "personal financial supervisor". Steven was
the official OSGeo financial supervisor, but he helped us a lot on
various fields, not only regarding the financial stuff. As you will not
request for seed money, I am kind of unsure, whether you need an
official supervisor or not, but as said, this was really helpful for us.

Regards, Till