[OSGeo-Conf] Question: share attendee list ?

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Tue Dec 20 10:36:28 PST 2016

Hi all,

The email list which has been accumulated since 2007 or before has
been one of the primary inputs that leads to annual success of FOSS4G.
Each year it has been passed on. Boston should get the list from 2015
if not 2016.  Also, let's change the 2019 RFP to include list
continuity.

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 4:27 AM,  <till.adams at fossgis.de> wrote:
> Hi Steven, ConfComm, @Boston-team,
>
> (I included BLOC, as they are the directly affected)
>
> @Steven, thanks to jump in here. I digged a little deeper and although the
> system we used for registration is not available any more, I am quite sure
> (and found some text drafts for this), that we declared not to hand over the
> personal data for registration to anybody else. So this excludes your
> proposed first option and also to hand over the full list to Boston. Sorry
> for that.

This page seems to allow contact by email as well as transfer.
http://2016.foss4g.org/registration.html#tac

> I think we could do the following:
> We, Bonn team,  will write one last email, reaching out all the attendees,
> give them some last facts about F4G'16, include links on articles about F4G
> 2016 on several platforms, attach a few selected but really nice pictures
> and thank them all for their attendance. In this email we will hint the
> people to Boston and the possibility to actively ask for news about F4G'17.
> So people can actively get in touch with the Boston team and request for
> further information about F4G'17.

The Bonn LOC can decide what to do but they should do whatever they
can to pass on the list (or at the very least encourage people to
re-subscribe).

> Personally I do not like the platforms, where I have to un-check the
> pre-checked box "Please send me advertising and further information", even
> if you have the opportunity to optout. The end of the story is:
> You have to be aware and active, otherwise you get the
> information/advertising/whatever-spam.
> I prefer the other way around: If people do nothing, they do not get
> anything.

In 2014, we considered the annual global FOSS4G to be the same event
as previous years and subsequent years.  We specify this in our policy
making it entirely clear, "Your personal information is shared with
future FOSS4G events and these are considered to be the same entity,
even though they are run by a different committee.",
http://2014.foss4g.org/about/privacy-policy/index.html

I also consider 2016 to be the same global FOSS4G event.  The LOC was
merely the caretaker for one year.

> So for the general proceeding on this topic I would propose the following:
> First, I would ask BLOC (I like this and really wonder, why we did not have
> this idea before ;-)) to deliver an "optin" link and leave the technical
> proceeding on this to them.

Real changes will happen in the 2019 RFP.  We can ask things of BLOC
but they are largely free to do what they want.

> Second we can ask BLOC to include a(n un-)checked checkbox in their
> registration form "Keep me up to date about upcoming F4G events" which
> includes to at least pass over their email-adress to future teams. In any
> information any future F4G team send out, people get the chance to optout.

I strongly disagree with this.  Global FOSS4G is the same event and
people should be automatically signed up for information on the same
event.  Email continuity from year to year for the same event.  If the
Bonn LOC was running the conference again, surely the list would be
reused since it is the same event.

Yes, definitely on an easy and obvious optout/unsubscribe from every
communication.  That is just basic good practice and probably the law
in most places.

> For the technical stuff I see the problem you lined out. That should be
> solved in either way.... just some thoughts on this:
> The mailchimp also needs kind of "administrator" ....
> A perhaps not perfect but very easy and easy-to-realize solution would be to
> create a new mailing list "FOSS4G News" and ask people to register, if they
> want get the news-feed.
> So every future team can use this address to post their news on their event.
>

> Any comments?

Lots, :).  I think the fundamental discussion is whether the annual
global FOSS4G event is the same event or not.  Determining this will
help us decide on the path forward.  Once we decide, we can clarify in
the RFP for future years.  What are your thoughts on whether it is the
same event?  Separate from any obligations the Bonn LOC may have
created for themselves and have to fulfill.

Best regards, Eli