[OSGeo-Conf] Conference commitete meeting?

till.adams at fossgis.de till.adams at fossgis.de
Tue Jan 12 01:37:17 PST 2016

Hi,

just my 2 Cents, I focus on Camerons points 1 and 2:

1.)
As said earlier, a unification of bid-documents would help a lot here.

2.)
- I think it's better to have a smaller confCommittee, but members are
full active than having everybody in ;-)
- Handbook is a good point for the external "needs" from OSGeo to the
conference
- In my eyes, personal contact to the former chair(s) is the best I can
have
- Also the "Lessons learned" in the WIKI are helpful.

For the past two points, maybe ConfComm should follow up this a little
more and maybe a mandatory help of the following teams should be part of
the requested demands for the bid process.

Let me talk a little on these points: We (FOSSGIS e.V., german local
chapter) organize FOSSGIS conferences for more than 10 years now and I
know, that much of FOSS4G-Handbook is based on our FOSSGIS handbook.
Nevertheless, we always have a "Local Team" that cares about local
issues and changes with the location and we have an existing "conference
team", consisting of people who have a lot of experience in doing
FOSSGIS conferences collected over years. I know, that this is more
easy, as FOSSGIS causes much less work and is much easier to do, but we
do not re-start again year for year...

Organizing FOSS4G 2016 I my impression is far more challenge than
FOSSGIS - there are several points, the size, the more professional
frame and also the always changing regional touch.... But maybe it's not
enough, that OSGeo's-ConfComm decides who is going to organize the next
event and from then on does not really care any more ;-). Don't
understand this wrong, I am happy with that and I am happy, that we have
this level freedom when organizing FOSS4G, but might be that others
aren't happy with that so much?

BTW: Don't know, when you plan your meeting, but if you want to we can
care for a room here in August in Bonn... ;-)

So far, Till