[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] FOSS4G 2017 contracting & funding

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Thu Mar 3 15:15:16 PST 2016

Hi Michael and the BLOC,

I haven't yet reviewed the documents in detail.  Other comments in line below.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Steven Feldman <shfeldman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Conference Committee colleagues
>
> Can we agree that we will give Michael the ‘green light’ if there have been
> no objections raised by close of business on Monday 7th? We will then need
> to make a recommendation to the Board, I can do this on behalf of the CC if
> you are agreeable.

This sounds good to me, also note the Board meeting schedule and agenda.

> Cheers
> ______
> Steven
>

> On 3 Mar 2016, at 20:33, Michael Terner <mgt at appgeo.com> wrote:
>
> Steven, Cameron, Peter & the rest of the Conference Dev:
> Thank you for the prompt reply to my queries from this morning. Glad to see
> that we're on track, and the link to the template doc is very helpful and
> we'll get that in front of our PCO today.
>
> Also, to Steven's question on the advance. As per an earlier thread, we are
> thinking we'd ask for two advances. This initial one - for $20k US - to get
> us up and rolling in "quiet mode" through the completion of the 2016 North
> American (Raleigh) and Global (Bonn) events; and then a second advance in
> September, 2016 that will help us pay necessary deposits and keep the cash
> flow until registrations and sponsorship revenues hit their stride, likely
> in the Feb/March timeframe of 2017. We expect the second advance to be on
> the order of $40-50k US.

I suggest only asking the Board for one advance.  In past years this
has been $50k US or 50k Euros.  If the Board asks to space it out over
time, that is up to them but I see no reason for you to do that.

> We'll await any further input from Conference Dev through tomorrow (as per
> my proposed timeline), and then we'll move to complete the agreement and
> initiate approvals with the Board early next week.

Coordination with the Board meeting schedule can be important, as well
as getting on their agenda,
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors#Meetings.  You can work
with Steven to coordinate that.

In past years, the Board portion has been done by the president and/or
treasurer.

Best regards, Eli