[OSGeo-Conf] Priorities for Conference Committee

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 00:41:53 PDT 2016

Seems this email of mine never made it to the conference list, before,
sending again. ...

I'd add to Steven's list to include (longer term needs):

5. Fleshing out our handbook:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook and aligning with FOSS4G bid
documentation
6. Resolving our current issue of having more detailed review of
conference proposals than we have volunteer time
7. Addressing our loss of collective knowledge between FOSS4G events,
with each new event starting with a new team. Ideas have floated in the
past about having a single person dedicated to FOSS4G events. This might
be a paid position
8. Considering our relationship between OSGeo and LocationTech, both of
which host Open Source Geospatial events, both of which bring unique but
slightly different value propositions. 3 cities bid for FOSS4G from
North America for 2017, two teamed with LocationTech. Debate about which
city to select was dominated by whether OSGeo should work with
LocationTech, which resulted in these cities potentially being
disadvantaged. This is something the conference committee should resolve
before calling for bids.
9. Understanding and formalising our position related to FOSS4G regional
and local events and working out how we can support and help them better

Cheers, Cameron

P +61 2 9009 5000,  Wwww.lisasoft.com,  F +61 2 9009 5099