[OSGeo-Conf] [OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G

Jonathan jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Fri May 20 11:22:14 PDT 2016

Hi Till,
No problem - I don't want to take you away from the other more important
things. I know you must be busy. I'll be responding to the thoughts in
the other thread soon (time constraints and all that), it's just your
post came first. :-)

Apologies for not being clear - my points weren't specific to Bonn, and
please don't feel they were though I can see how that came across.. I do
realise it's too late to change things there even if there was
agreement. I was raising them as issues for more general discussion.

Have a great weekend,
Jonathan
(p.s. - I already have my invoice for Bonn, and am quite looking forward
to it!)

On 20/05/2016 18:17, till.adams at fossgis.de wrote:
> [...]
>>> that the fees are really the problem that preclude many of
>>> attendees.
>>> But I started this discussion, so I will give some comments (also
>>> knowing that doing something always brings people into the arena,
>>> that
>>> have different meanings).
>>>
>>> But I also reduce the "CC"'s to the converence dev-list. Feel free
>>> share elsewhere ;-)

>>> conference -
>>> are
>>> be
>>> wi-fi,
>>> is
>>>
>>> Requirement (in CfL):
>>> "For the 2016 conference we would ask that a host be able to handle
>>> up
>>> to 1000 attendees."
>>>
>>> We are not in Brussels, our university might cover a capacity of
>>> some
>>> hundred, if available at all. And I guess that very often, the
>>> "core" of
>>> local chapters (who in the end organize FOSS4G's) are not always in
>>> the
>>> biggest cities of their countries. Being in the biggest cities with
>>> the
>>> biggest Universities would on the other side reduce possible
>>> locations
>>> (and normally rise up accommodation costs).
>>>
>>> Also, if you are not in a single building (as FOSs4G ever was) you
>>> won't
>>> reach the special FOSS4G feeling and spirit, you have an event where
>>>
>>> people might even not meet, because they are always at different
>>> locations.
>>> Very likely, a conference center or hotel is the onliest possible
>>> location (BTW: I am absolutely convinced that especially our
>>> location
>>> makes part of the spirit.

>>> Ok,
>>> lost),

>>> Anyhow we want to reduce that to an absolute minimum. But knowing
>>> our
>>> community, you know that T-Shirets are nearly the most important
>>> thing
>>> you receive on a FOSs4G ;-). In general, compared to the other
>>> costs,
>>> the conference bag will be around 5 % of the total fee. So not
>>> really
>>> worth talking about that.

>>> elements.
>>> there

>>> That's a correct point, but you won't take the bus to Bonn, except
>>> you
>>> come from Alfter (which is very close). So you can choose, but
>>> regarding
>>> my travel to Korea, you can choose which airline, but the price for
>>> flights from Germany to Korea differ around some percentages.

>>> says
>>> dinner), I'm

>>> at
>>> food
>>>
>>> Correct. But if you hire WCCB you have to choose the one possible
>>> caterer. So no choice for us here. Giving the choice for attendees