[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2018 Dar es Salaam Submission

Mark Iliffe markiliffe at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 09:16:29 PST 2016

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the questions, I've responded in-line. If there is anything else, or further questions raised by my responses, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Many thanks,

Mark

> On 25 Nov 2016, at 14:10, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> So:
>
> - Attendance: prior experience w/ conferences in the "other hemisphere" have been a lower attendance, and in general, have been that the "international" component can not be expected to drastically exceed 200, which means anything beyond that has to be local/regional (ie, a European conference cannot expect much more than 200 non-European attendees). With your attendance tranches, of 500, 650, 750, you feel confident in African attendance of 300, 450, 550?
We do feel confident that we'll have high attendance from around the region. As part of this strategy, we have a pan-African LOC, to raise awareness in as many networks as possible. Furthering this for international delegates, we believe that we have one of the most attractive conference rates, with a low total conference fee, flight and hotel rates. We hope this will push our international numbers up.

> - Workshops: You've budgeted to rent 30 computers, but have 240 workshop slots. You could run one classroom over 4 days (8 timeslots) or maybe you have more classrooms available outside the rental computers? (Also, remember to rent slightly more computers than you need, to account for broken gear)
We have more planned workshops than computers, as we're planning for BYOD workshops. These computers are there to ensure that those without their own device can still participate.

> - Design: You've budgeted 10K, which seems very very high, like A/V budget line high. Usually the design only comes in around 1K.
From managing the Ramani Huria conference, our design fee was at the $10k equivalent. This includes the design of the conference hall, as well as traditional program and branding design.

> - Meals: prices are enjoyably low. You have confirmed these w/ the venue and are not just guesstimating? Sometimes venues have exclusivities on food and bev and will be much higher than you'd think from your knowledge of local restaurants, etc.
We have a confirmed "total package fee" from the venue of $71, including pens, paper, breaks and food. Additionally, we have sought quotes from outside caterers (the locally renown "Alcove" restaurant), quoting $20 per delegate for meals. We will negotiate with the venue and outside caterers to ensure the optimum balance between quality and cost. The relative cost reduction is due to the environment.

> - Organizer expenses are confirmed w/ organizer company?
Yes

> - Sponsorship: your sponsorship sheet is wonderful, great to see so many relevant sponsorship targets already identified.
Thanks!

> - A/V: I'm not seeing an A/V line. Along w/ venue and wifi, A/V is usually one of the largest fixed costs. Rooms need screens, projectors, sound systems, a plenary hall needs all the the above, only bigger and fancier, etc, etc. Usually it's pricey.
This is included in the PCO fee.

> - Recording: One thing missing from my old model budget (which you've worked from here) is recording. Recording has been so well done in recent years, and so important to capturing the value of FOSS4G, that it needs to be formally budgeted so it happens. This is a place former chairs could provide guidance and help?
This is included in the PCO fee. We do have a former chair on our LOC, but also seek to liaise with former chairs as part of the committee with the OSGeo.