[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G Handbook - Financial expectations

Venkatesh Raghavan venka.osgeo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 17:03:34 PDT 2016

My Comments inline.

On 9/9/2016 7:40 AM, Steven Feldman wrote:
> Maria
>
> Nice image, what are you suggesting in terms of the RfP? ______
> Steven
>

>> On 8 Sep 2016, at 22:03, Maria Antonia Brovelli
>> <maria.brovelli at polimi.it> wrote:
>>
>> <equity.jpg>
>>
>> Dear Cameron I prefer to take into account the differences among
>> countries. We want to elicit people developing and using open
>> source and we want to walk all together toward this result.
>> Equality often is not the best choice. Best regards Maria

+1 for Maria's suggestion.

I would suggest the following;

1) There was some comment on issue of too many people
requesting for free conference passes.
We need to clearly decide a guideline for offering free passes.
Free passes only offered to main Workshop Trainer, Keynote speakers and
student volunteers? Apart from that *no one* gets a free pass.

2) continue the discounted conference fee model for
low-income countries. This model has been successfully
used in FOSS4G-2015

3) Offer Travel support only for participants who are
have their presentation accepted at the FOSS4G conference.

4) Are we considering live streaming in future FOSS4G events?
In that case, request local chapters to organize local "FOSS4GFest"
during the duration of the main FOSS4G Conference and
take advantage of watching the live-streaming along with
the local community members who are unable to physically make it
to the FOSS4G event.

5) Consider recommending LoC to return a minimum fixed amount
of profit to OSGeo. Taking into account, that OSGeo annual
budget for 2015 is $75,000, we could consider having $50K-$60K
returned from the profit to OSGeo foundation when FOSS4G is
organized in high-income countries and $25K-$30K when FOSS4G
is organized in low-income countries (they can retain part of
the profit for organizing events to grow local communities, but
should submit a budget report in subsequent FOSS4G conferences
as to how the profits were used). This will help the foundation to
sustain the "Travel Grant", "Student Award" and "Code Sprint" at
FOSS4G events.

6) If the LoC of FOSS4G event is able to generate more profit
that stated in item 5 above, let them have a say in planning
how such "extra" profit will be used in future.

7) Consider a upper cap on the conference registration fee.
I would suggest $100/day of conference event when organized
in high-income countries. This would be much lower when FOSS4G
is organized in a low-income country

Best

Venka