[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G Handbook - Financial expectations

Polimi maria.brovelli at polimi.it
Fri Sep 9 01:02:12 PDT 2016

Here my comments

> I would suggest the following;
>
> 1) There was some comment on issue of too many people
> requesting for free conference passes.
> We need to clearly decide a guideline for offering free passes.
> Free passes only offered to main Workshop Trainer, Keynote speakers and
> student volunteers? Apart from that *no one* gets a free pass.

Ok. Good to have an international call for student volunteers.

> 2) continue the discounted conference fee model for
> low-income countries. This model has been successfully
> used in FOSS4G-2015
>
> 3) Offer Travel support only for participants who are
> have their presentation accepted at the FOSS4G conference.

I agree, but I want to ask them to give back something to the conference itself and to OSGeo. Detail reports of the sessions and/or helping in the OSGeo booth or something else that can be useful and give them more responsibility? If you agree on this point please provide other example of activities...

> 4) Are we considering live streaming in future FOSS4G events?
> In that case, request local chapters to organize local "FOSS4GFest"
> during the duration of the main FOSS4G Conference and
> take advantage of watching the live-streaming along with
> the local community members who are unable to physically make it
> to the FOSS4G event.

Ok!

> 5) Consider recommending LoC to return a minimum fixed amount
> of profit to OSGeo. Taking into account, that OSGeo annual
> budget for 2015 is $75,000, we could consider having $50K-$60K
> returned from the profit to OSGeo foundation when FOSS4G is
> organized in high-income countries and $25K-$30K when FOSS4G
> is organized in low-income countries (they can retain part of
> the profit for organizing events to grow local communities, but
> should submit a budget report in subsequent FOSS4G conferences
> as to how the profits were used). This will help the foundation to sustain the "Travel Grant", "Student Award" and "Code Sprint" at
> FOSS4G events.

Yes, I agree. Reports are important to verify the success of funding.
Among award, I suggest also a "Women award" because the presence of ladies at our conferences and in our organization has to be increased.

> 6) If the LoC of FOSS4G event is able to generate more profit
> that stated in item 5 above, let them have a say in planning
> how such "extra" profit will be used in future.

> 7) Consider a upper cap on the conference registration fee.
> I would suggest $100/day of conference event when organized
> in high-income countries. This would be much lower when FOSS4G
> is organized in a low-income country

Ok. My registration was of 100 euro for the three days of conference. I didn't have revenue but if I had requested 100 dollar/day I would have had gained 80 000 $ (400 attendees * 100* 2) . And generally at FOSS4G International there are more than 400 people...

I also asked a small amount of money for the workshops ( 20 euro for registering to every workshop).
Will we suggest a maximum cost also for workshops? In my opinion 50 $ in developed countries ( workshops generally last half day)

> Best
>
> Venka

Ciao!
Maria