[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G simplicity

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Thu Sep 8 18:17:37 PDT 2016

Hi all,

Prompted by several other threads which raise several complicated
topics for intertwining with FOSS4G, I've come up with another idea
for a different approach.

Keep FOSS4G very simple.

All these other complex ideas (many are good ideas that I support)
should be separate and run through some non-FOSS4G committee,
approach, method, etc.

Here is a fictionalized analogy of the US tax code.  The tax code has
had every "good" idea over the last century pushed into it because it
is a place that you can "solve" things rather than addressing them
elsewhere.  Many of those good ideas are good ideas.  Most of these
ideas are also applicable to very few people.  So when doing taxes,
you might need to determine if you are a widow of a blind railroad
worker whose retirement account was established prior to 1930.

I strongly support the grant program and startup funding to new
Chapters and several of the other ideas and programs that are often
intertwined with FOSS4G.  I'm not sure that they are best administered
by a transitory annual LOC.  Requiring the LOC to administer these
burdens the LOC, which should be focusing on other issues.  It also
neglects these ideas and programs which are supposedly priorities and
that we want done well and improved successively over the years.
Let's find the proper place for these ideas and programs and support
and nurture them so that they can thrive.  Making FOSS4G RFPs, bids,
and LOCs like the tax code is a recipe for disaster.

Keep FOSS4G simple and straight forward for the LOC.  Start and/or
continue many of these other great ideas through other channels that
allows them to get the proper attention, effort, resources, and focus
for success.

Best regards, Eli