[OSGeo-Conf] Voting & commitment

David William Bitner bitner at dbspatial.com
Fri Sep 30 10:30:00 PDT 2016

I also think in the case of this committee, there is one vote a year that
the folks here universally care about: the FOSS4G selection.

Other than that, people clearly have far less energy to spend paying
attention to things like governance issues. Low/no quorum can handle this
even with a large overall pool of committee members as folks who only care
about that one vote can "ride it out" through the year, but pay close
attention come rfp/selection time.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 12:25 PM, Eli Adam <eadam at co.lincoln.or.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 5:05 PM, Venkatesh Raghavan
> <venka.osgeo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The way I look at the 25% quorum threshold, suggested by Eli,
> > is that it is close to the "benevolent dictatorship"
> > decision model. One of our projects in incubation
> > was asked to retire since the lead developer proposed
> > to adopt such a model for the project PSC.
>
> 25% quorum threshold and "benevolent dictatorship" have nearly nothing
> in common.
>
> In benevolent dictatorship 1 person can overrule a 90% majority.  This
> is entirely anti-democratic.
>
> In low (or no quorum), people can participate as it suits and
> interests them.  If people are fine with the already voted stance,
> then they don't need to throw in their +1.  If people are satisfied
> with the motion going either way, they certainly don't need to add
> their +0.  During contentious or interesting topics that also fit the
> timing of activities in people's personal lives, then there is often
> high participation.  While participation may range from 1%-100%, the
> result is consensus or at least majority.  Majority to consensus is
> entirely democratic.  People choosing to not vote is not a loss of
> democracy.  The potential is there if people are so inclined.
>
> Best regards, Eli

David William Bitner
dbSpatial LLC
612-424-9932