[OSGeo-Conf] Voting & commitment

Jeroen Ticheler jeroen.ticheler at geocat.net
Fri Sep 30 15:08:41 PDT 2016

+1 for Peter.

The procedural discussions, membership clean up rounds (more often than voting rounds) and statements about the minimum qualifications of the membership made me step down. (Indeed I abused the proposed new guidelines as an escape route ;-) ). While I've always taken the selection work (reading the proposals) very seriously, have organized recurring events and have been involved in osgeo right from the start, these processes have made me feel unwelcome and uncomfortable. I am convinced that responsibility and commitment is worth at least as much as having run a FOSS4G conference. The recurring discussions on who is eligible to be member and is allowed to vote have been demotivating to me. I wouldn't be surprised if others have similar feelings but I can only speak for myself.

To me OSGeo is a do-ocracy, I see bureaucracy step in more often and think it can be destructive for a volunteer organization that has transparency, openness and trust in each other as core values. I've previously opposed the formation of a Code of conduct Committee. Not because I think people should be offended in any way, or shouldn't be protected if an offense occurs. But because I think it is a step away from being truly open, trusting and respectful towards each other within OSGeo. Extra bureaucracy and guidelines aren't very helpful for that IMO, it often just creates barriers to get things done.

Cheers and keep up the good work!
Jeroen