[OSGeo-Conf] Request for Travel Grant to attend FOSDEM Geospatial devroom

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 23:41:23 PST 2017

Dear Eli,

Thank you for your reply. The student wrote to you because was addressed by
me. Unfortunately the more emails I exchanged on these travel grant
requests, the less I grasp about how they are handled by OSGeo. That’s
surely my fault, I didn’t dig into the past history to see how they were
assigned.
As GSoC program, we had received by google 500USD specifically for travel
grant for a GSoC student and we already assigned it to another student.
Now, as Jody in the thread you cited, had mentioned the mobility program
run by the conference committee, we thought to address the student to
request an equivalent travel grant from it. But this really seems over
complicated. Are there guidelines on how this works? Otherwise I really
think OSGeo should create them. And I would like to see also the GSoC
mentors participating into the discussion, because so far they didn’t agree
upon a common way to spend GSoC money. Besides, this topic has been so far
split into so many mailing lists that is even hard to find a history for it.
At moment, i can only see it clear that we have a problem, we have money
coming in, we have no agreement on how to spend it, we have students that
could make good use of it, and we lack a simple and straightforward
procedure to allow them to do so. I don’t think should be only the board
decision, but i’d really welcome a discussion within the community at
large, including mentors, conference committee and charter members.

Than you

Best regards

Il giorno sab 23 dic 2017 alle 00:45 Eli Adam <eadam at co.lincoln.or.us> ha
scritto:

> Hi Vidhan,
>
> Excellent work on GSoC and the Google Code-In!  Congrats on having
> your proposal to FOSDEM'18 devroom accepted.
>
> To my knowledge, the conference committee is not actively running a
> travel grant program for FOSSDEM'18 devroom or anything else right
> now.  Details of how this will work seem to still be under discussion,
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/soc/2017-November/003884.html,
> mostly within the GSoC realm.  If the discussion leads to GSoC admins
> approaching the conference committee to run a travel grant program,
> the process of applying would be determined after that.
>
>  Best regards, Eli
>

> On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 1:21 PM, vidhan jain <vidhanj1307 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > My name is Vidhan Jain and I am an undergraduate student from India.
> This year, I participated in Google Summer of Code as an intern with the
> OSGeo organization working on the "Rewrite of Turn Restriction Shortest
> Path Algorithm in PgRouting" project. More details related to my project
> can be found in [1]. I am currently mentoring pre-university students(13-17
> years) with OSGeo in Google Code-In.
> >
> > I had submitted a proposal for presenting my GSoC project and sharing my
> experience of contributing to OSGeo in FOSDEM'18 under geospatial devroom
> to be held on 3rd and 4rth of February in Brussels, Belgium. I am grateful
> to the conveners of the conference for accepting my proposal.
> Unfortunately, due to lack of financial resource, I am unable to commit my
> presence. Therefore, I request a travel grant of 500 USD based on [2] to
> attend the conference.
> >
> > FOSDEM is a two-day event organized by volunteers to promote the
> widespread use of free and open source software. More details related to
> FOSDEM can be found in [3].
> >
> > [1]:
> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2017/projects/4730835743801344/
> >
> > [2]: https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/soc/2017-November/003881.html