[OSGeo-Conf] Open open source, reduce registration fees.

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Mon Feb 6 09:15:02 PST 2017

Regular reminder:
No doubt a $100 drop on registration would be determinative for a few, but
it will not do much to change the equation for even a backpacking overseas
traveller, who will pay (from Vancouver) $1000 to get there and $600+ in
accommodation and meals, depending on how long they stay (doing workshops?
doing code sprint?)
Using second-city sites (Victoria instead of Vancouver, Lausanne instead of
Geneva) can shave registration dollars at the margins, but they'll get
eaten up instead in travel costs.
Local regional conferences (Foss4g.nl) should probably aim to go low and
hyper-accessible, since they draw from a population that can economize on
all aspects of the conference experience (stay at home, get up at 4am and
walk to the venue from Haarlem, bring a bag lunch). Foss4g international
is... international, there's going to be a minimum spend to get there and
do it, no matter how few coffees are served, how spare the venue, or how
much volunteers are used and abused.
P.