[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G Boston Travel Grants ~ IMPORTANT request

Kristin Bott bottk at reed.edu
Wed May 3 11:24:37 PDT 2017

Hi, all --

Good to see discussion of a travel grant / scholarship program for FOSS4G
2017 / Boston. For foss4g2014 (Portland, OR), here's our story of travel
grants, prose edition:
http://2014.foss4g.org/travel-grant-epilogue/index.html

In bulletpoint version:
- We set aside 10k of *the conference budget* to fund the program and
- set aside HALF of those resources for people who *self-identified* as
women or a minority (one of the questions on the application)
- folks applied online (app attached), applications were ranked by four
external reviewers, and funds were awarded based on the strength of
applications and self-identified need. More than half of our resources
supported women and members of minority groups, since the LOC felt strongly
that a more diverse community is a stronger (and more effective) community.

Happy to talk about any of this in further detail and/or potentially help
with process crafting / app selection. (I've been involved in a half-dozen
of these programs since our 2014 conference; just finished working with the
SOTM2017/Japan folks on same.)

A few months ago, I asked for examples of how other conferences (SOTM,
FOSS4G, local, inter/national versions of same) have dealt with these sort
of grants. Some answers, attached.

Thank you for keeping this important work a priority.

cheers -
-kristin

(one of four LOC co-chairs, FOSS4G 2014 PDX)

​
 RegionalGISConf-Scholarships.pdf
<https://drive.google.com/a/reed.edu/file/d/0BwlHqOO6YsaSWmo2NGNYMkxINlVSM0VoX1FvV2kxTWdnYVVN/view?usp=drive_web>
​​
 international smaller conf travel and schol.pdf
<https://drive.google.com/a/reed.edu/file/d/0BwlHqOO6YsaSWU9pWE9faEtYTWR2Z1VfX1QtZ05iRWd0OGFV/view?usp=drive_web>
​​
 International conference (travel grant + schola...
<https://drive.google.com/a/reed.edu/file/d/0BwlHqOO6YsaSUUV5LVVaME1BTVViSjg1MUZiOVNOZ3FJRFpF/view?usp=drive_web>
​