[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] FOSS4G Boston Travel Grants ~ IMPORTANT request

Benoit Fournier ben.fournier at gmail.com
Wed May 3 13:12:27 PDT 2017

On 3 May 2017 at 18:35, Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at> wrote:

> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> We covered this in last months board meeting, so far we need volunteers
>> willing to take part.
>>

> ​+1 OSGeo is a volunteer-driven organization. If no volunteers show up for
> this task, I'm afraid we won't have a travel grant program. Unfortunately
> it's as simple as that.​

Jody, Anita, board,

You do need volunteers, true. And the task for them can look daunting or
feasible.
OSGeo can also be committed to the idea and look for professional help.
So that volunteers might be needed only for a review panel or global
overview.
You still need volunteers then but you may find them more easily if OSGeo
can assure that adequate backing will be provided.

FOSS4G is already a big enough event. I think it has been recognized that
sometimes volunteers are under much pressure and a PCO is welcomed. So
professional help is always a possibility.
Indeed travel grant program can be very time consuming if you have to
handle everything from airplane tickets, visa applications, recommendation
letters, lodging and so on. Alternatively you are simply giving money and
hope for the best.

Also, if OSGeo decided to run a travel grant program, and agreed to spend
10k, part of the sum can be set aside to make it happen.
It is overhead, it is somehow disappointing, but it can be necessary. On
the contrary, I think it is a strong statement for diversity and
inclusiveness.
You may convince additional sponsors, who knows.

May the FOSS be with you and us all.

Ben